Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Yes PleaseYes Please by Amy Poehler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Going to be completely honest, I read this book because I loved Tina Fey's BossyPants. I also really like Parks & Rec (It's currently playing on my T.V. right now). For the most part, it was a funny memoir. Amy's personality came through well in her writing, and I enjoyed the additions such as the chapter written by Seth Meyers.

It is in my opinion that you shouldn't read this book expecting a typical memoir. You learn some things about Amy but nothing below surface level. There's rare moments where she does go into details about her life that are gems, but most events of her life are skimmed over. Not much focus is given to the actual events and situations but how she handled them and how you should handle similar situations.

This memoir is about following "Do as I say, not as I do."

Perhaps if the book was written later after Parks & Rec, or after her divorce was finalized it would feel less like a work in progress. Both of those aspects seemed to huge to her life and both are still opened, unfinished chapters that still made the book.

Lastly, the conclusion left a sour taste in my mouth. As a millennial I'm tired of hearing about how technology is horrible, and how no one makes eye contact anymore, and how it was so much better when people used to actually talk to each other. Especially after the last chapter of visiting orphanages in post-earthquake Haiti it felt odd and disjointed to end on that note. The only positive I can give the conclusion is that it worked to summarize her life in connection to communication.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment